Saturday, March 1, 2014

Future Wisdom

   
      Every morning I go through the same thing. I wake up snuggled between my kids.  My first moments of consciousness are spent feeling the rhythm of Joycee rubbing her legs against mine like a girl scout trying to make a fire.  I rise from bed, kiss their warm puffy cheeks, and go downstairs to make coffee feeling especially blessed.
     That blessed feeling is replaced by a migraine as soon as I hear the echo of complaints and the heavy thump of footsteps coming downstairs 20 minutes later....by which time we will be officially late to school... again.
     There should be no surprises, weekdays, (school days) are full of monotony, but somehow what is boredom to me is a surprise of massive proportions to those under the drinking age.  The doe-eyed stares, the tears I get, the open mouthed look of surprise.    The knots that form in my stomach and lower intestine every time I hear the following statements 'WHAT?  YOU NEVER SAID THAT!  NOW?  I DIDN'T HEAR YOU.  AWWW.  OKAY.  FINE.  NO, NO, NO.  I'M NOT DOING IT. AND my personal favorite, YOU'RE LUCKY BECAUSE YOU GET TO DO WHATEVER YOU WANT ALL DAY.
     The kids can't begin to understand me, which constantly makes me the bad guy.  I should be at an advantage, because I've been through the experience of childhood already.  I am taking this time to explain to them what they won't understand until they are parents themselves. 
 
Mommy isn't grumpy in the morning, it just gets frustrating repeating oneself daily on a minute to minute basis.

Just because you didn't hear me, doesn't mean I didn't say it.


If you are sick, mommy will be there for you, but not in the mood for school does not cut it.  No vomit, no fever, no diarrhea, no blood-no pass.
 
Parents are just big kids.  We still hate homework, the idea of school, doctor visits, and scheduled bedtimes.

Parents need unwind time too.  Going out for dinner or a movie with friends is our version of a play date.
 
You say you want a dog and that you'll take the responsibility.  What you mean is you'll walk the dog but once it poops the leash is mom's.

Saying "okay, fine," or "yes mommy" and NOT doing what's asked of you is like nails on a chalkboard.


There is no conversation so time sensitive that it needs to be spoken through the bathroom door.

I am not obsessed with exercise, it's just a great outlet for pent up energy.

TV is not your friend.

The term 'social' media is an oxymoron.

Like the song says, Don't worry..be happy.

Do it now.  When you have an idea, run with it.

Don't be afraid of the unknown, you can't know everything, and even if you could-what's the fun in that?


Friends may come and go, but family is there forever.

You'll never be too old to cuddle (just not between 12-6am, mommies need their sleep too).

Everyone ages, but as long as you let your inner child sing, you will never grow old.

Naming your own child after your parents may be too traditional for some, but in truth, it's karma.
(what's cuter than yelling out your parents names and telling them to do their homework, or go bathe?)

If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't cry or complain when mom brings home clothing for me to try on (after all there will be a point where I'll have to shop and pay for my own things).

As a kid, another do-over:  when mommy is sick, the best way to take care of her would be to let her sleep.

One cannot begin to understand the swell of love in the heart for a child, until they have their own. And even when you come to that understanding, you will still NEVER be able to comprehend how much your own parents love you.


Be careful with your words.  What takes only a few seconds to come out of your mouth can sit on someones mind and heart for decades.

Some of the songs you listen to are 'remakes'-that means it's an old song being sung by a younger artist.  One day when you are driving, or exercising, or just listening, you'll hear what will be 'remakes' of your music-and you'll feel a decade older.  Call me when you do.

Weight is like the stock market, it may go up, it may go down, but should never be mistaken for your true value.

 You have way more in common with me than you'd like to admit, the sad part is that you won't realize for another 20 years when you're trying to have that hot cup of coffee during your waking moments and your six year old wants to sit directly on you.  Or on the drive back from toys r us, when you've already instructed the kids NOT to open the new toys you've just bought for them-and you hear them trying to quietly crack open the box.  Or when that book report is due and they need the list of supplies, or when they get out of bed for the 12th time for a glass of water....

Hopefully, I'll still be around for you to complain to and connect with.  But if I'm not, just know that I'll always be with you, and yes, I understand.








No comments:

Post a Comment