Monday, March 24, 2014

Read between the Yellow Lines

Yellow curb

     Tonight I attended parent teacher conferences.  Once I walked out I was met by two police cars.  One of the neighbors called in a complaint, it's usually because a parent unknowingly blocked a driveway.


Key word-unknowingly.

     In my opinion, there is a special art in unknowing a street you frequent with your kids daily... yet everyday, people play stupid.  Ignoring the 'No Standing' sign on each corner so that the buses can't turn onto the street backing up traffic a block on Dahill.  Buses and cars squealing their horns, like barnyard animals trying to break free from the fence.  Cars double parked for pick up, locals passing by with furrowed brows and the unforgiving sound of metal scraping metal.  We may have the tendency to forget, the neighbors unfortunately do not sympathize with this.

     The guard is outside with a look of concern.  "They're blocking driveways.  They're gonna get ticketed,"  he said as he put out his cigarette.
     I shrug as I walk back to my car parked in a legal spot, but under my breath say "Good."  Why should I be the only one shivering in the snow, or walking in the rain?  There are rules, and don't block my freakin driveway is the mother of them all.
          I'd also like to pick on the 'yellow line creators/extenders.'   I don't have a law degree, but just because ones paint yellow lines two feet past their curb cut, doesn't mean that they own the extra 4 feet of sidewalk or curb.  Or does it?  And why is yellow always the color of choice?  Why not fuchsia?  If you're gonna paint something for the public, let it have some artistic value.

     My driveway is constantly blocked.  I myself am not a driveway hog, if there's a street spot and the driveway is open, I take to the streets.  But on that off chance that I need to go for that space that is meant for me, there it is-a van unloading, a workman for someone else on the block, the neighbor with the giant stucco truck that can never find a spot (and never offered a discount to re-stucco our house)or even a motorist using his iPhone. There are five other driveways on the block, ours always seems to be the default to regular street parking, and yet I still have not to invested in the paintbrush or the tow away sign.
     Parking is a privilege reserved to those who have cars, it is not an entitlement to park everywhere.   My remorse for those who still think that it's okay 'just for a second' to block or park where they are not permitted only to be perplexed when ticketed or towed.  My compassion lies with those with a place to park, who ironically cannot.
Maybe I can commission someone to paint this at my driveway.

No comments:

Post a Comment